FLAVOURED CUSTARD - SUGAR FREE
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
30 - 40 drops of VitalZing MilkDrops
(Chocolate, Strawberry or Banana)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large egg yolks
1. In a small heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat 3/4 cup whole milk and 1/4 cup heavy cream or just 1 cup whole milk (eliminating the cream) until scalding. If it's steaming, it's probably there. Remove from heat. You can also do this in the microwave.
2. Add 1/4 teaspoon good-quality vanilla, artificial sweetener to equal 2 tablespoons sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt to the milk. Stir well.
3. In a small, heatproof or stainless-steel bowl, beat 3 large room-temperature egg yolks. Add a little of the hot milk-cream and mix well (this is called "tempering" the eggs so they don't cook).
4. Repeat, adding a little more milk so you gradually bring the eggs up to temperature.
5. Put a small amount of water in the bottom of a double boiler or a pot on which you can put the bowl containing the tempered eggs. Heat the water. The water should not be able to touch the bottom of the bowl.
6. Place the bowl with the tempered eggs over the pot with simmering water and stir or whisk until mixture begins to thicken, then remove from heat and stir until it coats a spoon. Refrigerate.
Follow the instructions carefully otherwise you can end up with a scramble egg like consistency
This sauce is similar to French crème anglaise, which can be used on fruit, or even cake.
VitalZing WaterDrops and MilkDrops are available from www.vitalzing.com and remember, there's FREE SHIPPING for all orders over $20.
For more VitalZing recipes go to : VITALZING.COM